Dentistry is no longer just a case of filling and restoring teeth. Nowadays many people turn to cosmetic dentistry, or ‘aesthetic dentistry’, as a way of improving their appearance.
They do this in the same way they might use cosmetic surgery or even a new hairstyle. The treatments can be used to straighten, lighten, reshape and repair teeth. Cosmetic dentistry includes teeth whitening, veneers, crowns, bridges, tooth-coloured fillings, teeth straightening (orthodontics) and dental implants.
Tooth Whitening is a successful and simple method of lightening the colour of your teeth, which can boost your confidence if you feel self-conscious about the colour of your teeth. Over time, teeth become more yellow and can stain due to diet, for example, tea, coffee, red wine and dark coloured foods.
At Ridentes we offer a highly professional teeth-whitening service that is tailored to the individual. Tooth whitening is a minimally invasive, safe, aesthetic solution for people displaying tooth discolouration.
Your dentist will take an impression of your teeth and ask the laboratory to make a custom made tray. He will then show you how to place the whitening gel into the tray and will go through the whole technique with you.
The ‘active ingredient’ in the product is usually hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide. As the active ingredient is broken down, oxygen gets into the enamel on the teeth and the tooth colour is made lighter.
When you look in the mirror – what do you see? Do you see a bright and beautifully aligned smile, or one that has dulled over the years, complete with chipped or uneven teeth?
If you want a winning smile, one that covers up those stained, chipped and worn out teeth, then dentists have an incredible technique that makes your smile look brand new again and like to share it with you.
For more information on porcelain veneers call us to schedule an appointment to see about a “lift” for your teeth!
What are Porcelain Veneers?
Porcelain veneers are custom-fitted “shells” that are applied and bonded to the front surfaces of the teeth in your smile “zone.” They are used to cosmetically correct teeth that are crooked or misshapen or to cover up gaps, stains and chips in your teeth.
How are Porcelain Veneers Applied?
- In order to create a custom, natural fit, the dentist starts by meeting with you to determine the “look” you’d like to achieve, while checking the appropriateness of your teeth for veneers and obtaining the best color matches.
- Next, the dentist lightly sands the enamel on the teeth to be fitted with veneers to maintain the same tooth thickness. Then, we take an impression of your teeth so the veneers can be shaped for a perfect fit, with the correct color and shape. While your new “teeth” are being made, we may place temporary veneers on your teeth until the permanent ones are ready.
- At the next visit, the dentist will have you approve the color and shape of your new veneers prior to cementing them. Your teeth will be cleaned with a mild acidic solution and then a tooth-colored bonding adhesive is applied along with the veneers to cement them into place. Then the veneers are buffed to blend in with your other teeth. And Voila! A new smile! A happy face!
The Benefits of Porcelain Veneers
As a conservative dental approach to cover teeth imperfections and fill in the gaps, porcelain veneers are an ideal choice because:
- Very little of the actual tooth enamel is removed.
- They provide a natural-looking alternative that is less expensive than crowns.
- They are strong and stain-resistant.
- With proper care, they can last 10-15 years.
- The procedure produces very little pain or discomfort.
Porcelain veneers are not only aesthetically pleasing, they’re functional because they protect your damaged teeth. They may also save you time and money and eliminate the need for more invasive crowns if the dentist feels they are a good “fit” for your teeth!
For more information on porcelain veneers call us and book an appointment to see about a “lift” for your teeth”, on 01865 370375.
White fillings are now a popular alternative to amalgam fillings. The new dental materials mean it is much easier to find a perfect match for the shade of a particular tooth. In most cases, it is quite impossible to see that the tooth even has a filling. Sometimes white filling material can be used to cover unsightly marks on teeth, in a similar way to veneers.
Ridentes is a completely amalgam free practice.
For further information on any of these cosmetic dentistry services or to book an appointment, contact us on 01865 370375.